Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Speeding - Part 2

Reader Holly on my previous post about driving fast mentions an accident last night on Rte. 24 in Bel Air. I was wondering if anyone had any information about it. I can't find anything about it online.
A few days before I wrote the original post about speeding, in the space of about half a mile I saw the aftermath of two accidents on Tollgate Road -- at the first entrance of Crisfield Drive and another at Sunray Court. The Crisfield/Tollgate accident had three cars involved. Looking at the vehicles I tried to decipher how it could have happened. I guess that was on my mind with the tailgater behind me a few days later. If I had stopped short with someone pulling out in front of me it would have been a three-car pileup -- with my car in the middle.
I've tried -- without success I might add -- to get drivers to slow down in my neighborhood. One similarity I've noticed when talking with people -- they don't think they're the ones responsible -- even though when I see many of these people driving down my street, they're driving well over the posted 25mph.
Instead of yelling at people to SLOW DOWN, I've now tried waving to people. This has been more effective, because even people I don't know will slow down to see if they recognize me. As one of my neighbors pointed out, this will probably only be effective for a short time, but I'll take it while it lasts. And it feels more neighborly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the HOA meeting the other evening, speeding in the neighborhood was Complaint numero uno! And the development dead ends so the dastardly doers are my neighbors (but given the lame attendance at the meeting, were probably not the ones there).

Anonymous said...

they also like to blame the teenagers, who are sometimes responsible, but it's also the mini van moms, and SUV dads.

Anonymous said...

My husband is the president of our HOA and I agree with beachdog that everyone complains about speeding. In our development, there is a stretch of road that really just opens up and people skip well over 25 and are hitting close to 45 or 50 in an EXTREMELY residential area. I see it all the time because the back of my house faces this part of the road. I suggested to him recently the HOA call the Police department and request a speed trap to be set up between 5 and 8 once a week or so for awhile and see what happens. The offending homeowners are certainly not the ones showing up at the meetings complaining about the speeding. Yet half of those speeders have children in their cars so they must be somewhat aware of the dangers they are creating!