Tuesday, November 13, 2007

1-95: Interchanges

If you've been wondering what that map is down at the right, it's the "visioning" by the Maryland department of transportation as to what our exit at 1-95 will look like in a few years.
I received a flier last week detailing the Section 200 (the name of the project) changes, and chuckled out loud at the description of the express toll lanes on 95 which will have sliding fees depending on traffic volume. This was the funny part: "Drivers would have the option of paying a toll to drive in the relatively congestion-free ETLs (express lanes) or in the GPLs as they do today."
My question, what if the majority of drivers decide to drive in the "relatively congestion-free" lanes? I'd pay a few dollars to get somewhere faster, and I imagine many drivers would. How can the MDTA promise that these lanes will be faster? I don't really understand. Will there be a rebate if you're stuck in traffic?
Of greater concern to me is the new exit configuration with 1-95/MD 24. I would describe what they're proposing for this section, but I don't think I could even paraphrase it. I do know that they've already started clearing trees on both sides of 24 (by WaWa and Wal-Mart), but nothing's happened in a few months.
There will be a public hearing from 5-8 p.m. Dec. 13 at William Paca Elementary where the public is invited to comment. The MDTA is also accepting written comment until Jan. 21, 2008.
I'm providing a link to maps of the project. If you can figure this out, please let us know.
Section 200 Project

1 comment:

lenebene said...

Holy cow I had no idea this was coming... I knew about the existing work being done near white marsh, etc... but I didn't realize they wanted to change all the Harford County stuff. Wow!! Thanks for sharing!