Friday, November 30, 2007

Back to Normal at Wal-Mart

Being mad at the Constant Friendship Target about the Wii fiasco has thrown off my whole week. I've been trying to branch out to other venues, but now I remember why I was so faithful in the first place.
This a.m. after I put the kids on the bus I ran over to Wal-Mart because I needed to get a birthday present for a party my daughter is attending this weekend. I parked close to the door and believed this was a good sign.
Shopping is much more pleasant since the remodel. The aisles are wider, it's easier to find things. It looks cleaner.
I was even humming a Christmas carol when I lined up at the register.
That's when it started.
I was in a long line. 3 registers were open. A cashier zipped behind me and helpfully told the elderly people at the back of the line she would help them next. This is a pet peeve of mine. Customer service at people at Wal-Mart never speak to me, because I don't fit the elderly demographic. Which, now that I think about it, kind of makes me happy. This happened 3 times while I was in line, but I thought I'd stick it out in my line because I was already committed. 15 minutes later, my goods were being checked out, but wait, the main purpose of the trip, a lovely Sleeping Beauty Disney Princess, was not in the system. It would not ring up. The cashier called the toy department. Nobody called back. She called again. Nobody called back. She called a manager, who ambled over and took the doll to customer service. Customer service couldn't find it the number and spent a lot of time examining the box. This wasn't an obscure item. It was a Disney Princess. They called the toy department. 20 minutes later, they decided to manually input the price.
Then I made the mistake of asking for a gift receipt.
This proved impossible! They couldn't do that! So I said Enough. You got me. I've got to get out of here. I thanked the very patient lady behind me and the cashier. The manager was mean to her. It wasn't her fault.
The woman behind me mentioned the Wal-Mart commercials where all the cashiers are playing Christmas music with their register lights. She summed it up best, "I guess they didn't see that commercial here."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I am always met with frustrations at Wal-Mart with the exception of the photo department. I have been pleasantly surprised there. Otherwise, it is Target all the way!!!!

Anonymous said...

The main reason Wal-Mart is so frustrating is that it's part of their company policy to have as few people as possible helping customers, so they don't spend as much on employee salaries! That's why there are ALWAYS long lines! Just another way for them to make more money...and people still keep shopping there despite all the hassles for themselves and the unethical business practices Wal-Mart uses.