Monday, March 31, 2008

Traffic Question..no answers

Here's part of an inquiry I sent to my county councilwoman in February. I just resent in hopes of a reply. In case anyone from the county is reading this, could you please answer?

Dear Mrs. Chenowith,

I’m writing now because of some traffic concerns at the Constant Friendship business area – Target, BJ’s, etc. The traffic is getting increasingly worse and I see that two more lots are up for sale. My question is in two parts.

First, the new, what I believe to be a pet store and possibly a Best Buy are being built right now. I’m saying I think, because I’ve been trying to find out what businesses are going there. I missed any sort of hearings for these businesses – or were these approved a long time ago? Is there a place on the county Web site, without knowing the zoning permit numbers or whose purchasing the land, that I could find out what’s going where?

The second part of the question is I would like to know if any traffic studies are being done on this area? The traffic on the weekends is heavy and it is very difficult to exit from the businesses. For example, if you’re taking the lower exit out of Target, you have cars coming up and down Constant Friendship Blvd., cars coming out of Lowe’s and cars coming out of Chik-Fil-A. It’s very difficult to gauge who’s coming out from where. It’s a miracle there are not more accidents just at this one spot. With the two new businesses being added to the Lowe’s site, this situation will only worsen.

I know this is a big tax base for the county, but we here in Abingdon are suffering the most from the increased number of businesses. I guess my question is threefold – is there any end in sight to the building over there?

That's it -- I just resent, because obviously I now know that the big blue sign is for a pet store (its light pollution now coming through my trees). So if anyone has any answers, please write!

Addition & Clarification. We here at TAA love some of the businesses in Constant Friendship and frequent them more than we probably should (yes, we're talking about you, Target) but my question in the letter is about the traffic pattern, and the continuous adding of businesses without consideration to how people exit from these new facilities. The letter was questioning whether this was being looked at by the county. Not that I've gotten an answer.
And please keep our arguments/comments friendly ones!

7 comments:

lenebene said...

Great question!! I was down there this weekend and it was a nightmare. Hopefully something will be done soon!!! I can't imagine a Best Buy going in there.

Anonymous said...

Maybe try sending it in to The Dagger? daggerpress.com. They seem to have the eyes and ears of the elected officials from the county. I know they publish letters like this.

Anonymous said...

Folks,
If you want to make such a big deal about free enterprise and the sprawl it causes- don't drive down that section of Constant Friendship Blvd. Surprise! -It's, ummm, populated by stores. I understand that they try to make a secret of their agenda to sell things, what with the signs and advertising and such. Amazing that folks who decide to procure items for their house or their pets or maybe even some lunch (Horror!)-have to actually move their cars into and out of lanes. I'll see what I can do to get a new hospital or a school or maybe a doctor's complex built down there too- but until that project is completed- if you don't need to patronize any of the merchants, it begs the question- why are you driving down that section of road? I suggest you find something else to complain about (seriously, light pollution?) or at least be grateful that in a beaten economy, you're fortunate enough to be able to live in a market,that, for now, is holding up pretty well. And it's not a Best Buy. Unless they've taken to selling 13" TVs.

Jason
Monmouth Meadows

Anonymous said...

Jason, I think you are late for your job at Walmart. She is not complaining about the businesses just the lack of planning that went into the traffic flow. I have lived in Constant Branch for 18 years and that whole area was wooded when we moved in. Since you are in one of the McMansions I don't expect you to understand. It is a safety issue.

Anonymous said...

You can read the outcome of most zoning meetings here:
http://www.harfordcountymd.gov/PlanningZoning/CommunityCalendar.cfm

At least you can get some of the information on the prelimenaries but I don't know what happens after these are posted if ammendments have to be made, etc.

Anonymous said...

http://www.harfordcountymd.gov/PlanningZoning/CommunityCalendar.cfm

Sorry the link didn't copy right before and I didn't notice.

Anonymous said...

CommunityCalendar.cfm\

keeps dropping off....