Thursday, March 27, 2008

Edgewood High Gets the Short Shrift Again

Edgewood High School parents were surprised to learn last week that they were to be given only two tickets to their child's graduation ceremony. It seemed it was surprising to officials that the football field which has been a construction site for the last several months would be unavailable for commencement exercises and that the ceremony would have to be moved indoors to the school's small auditorium.

When a parent questioned the school board about why this was happening, public information director Don Morrison responded that the auditorium had always been the contingent plan for inclement weather, but that other schools had used other venues.(Question: Is construction considered inclement weather?)

A response from the EHS principal stated that school officials had tried -- and so far failed -- to find another venue to hold commencement as these other sites had been booked at least a year in advance. The principal said the school is trying to work out an arrangement with Patterson Mill High School to possibly hold the graduation there. A meeting with parents is supposed to happen sometime, although no date was given.

My question is, how did the school board not know that the field was going to be unusuable for a May graduation? Anyone who has only half paid attention to the construction would have known it would be impossible. In fact, I remember during one board meeting that I happened to catch on the public access station earlier this school year, they spoke in depth about graduation ceremonies not for this year -- but for 2009 -- and making sure they could secure locations for C. Milton Wright & Bel Air High School.

I guess I really have two questions: if the Greater Edgewood Education Foundation really wanted to make a difference, wouldn't they have been concerned about trying to secure a location for graduation instead of holding a pep rally where students got to see the Ravens' mascot?

By the way, Bel Air, Fallston and C. Milton all have space secured in Towson for their commencements.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please keep us posted about the meeting, I don't want to miss it! I can't imagine telling my parents they can't see their grandson graduate! I keep trying to defend Edgewood, but it is getting harder and harder!

Anonymous said...

That is an outrage.

Anonymous said...

I went to the graduation, it wasn't horrible. But, if I would have had to watch my family member graduate from a TV screen I would have been disappointed. It was at Patterson Mill. I thought the auditorium actually created a good atmosphere for the graduation..\