Friday, March 14, 2008

How's the (cough cough) Ozone Level?

I just read an interesting article in The Daily Record about new ozone limits. The Record reports that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued a mandate Wednesday to increase restrictions on ozone limits in the atmosphere, placing 11 of the 12 Maryland counties monitored for air quality in violation of the new health standards. Only Garrett County made the cut.

Here's what caught my attention: Harford has the state’s worst recorded ozone level at 93 parts per billion. Susan Kelly, Harford's director of the Bureau of Environmental Health said the area suffers from transport winds from the Ohio Valley.

Is that why I had to get an inhaler and was diagnosed with asthma when I moved here? (Even though I'm originally from the Ohio Valley?) Also, is part of the ozone problem caused by what's being blown up at APG while I'm writing?

5 comments:

falmanac said...

Sad really, people in Harco think they're breathing clean air. I've read in the past that the problem is twofold: western power plants (Ohio, WV, etc) and pollution from vehicles on I-95. And here I thought banning smoking in bars would solve all our environmental problems. One wonders how many packs a day an SUV consumes?

Anonymous said...

Not really related to your post, but I couldn't find another way to email you... I had some concerns about those low-flying plans (I suppose they are from APG) flying over my neighborhood at night. Do you know anything about what that is all about? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I know Falmanac, when I pull into a parking place in my corolla next to some of these monster suv's I feel intimadated until I fill up that is! We will never go green until people are willing to sacrifice, not just put a blue bag on the curb.

falmanac said...

I just wish our government was brave enough to tell us that some of the fault is our own. Our houses are too big, our cars are too big, we live too far from work, etc. There was an article in the NYTimes recently that said many people won't switch to compact fluorescent bulbs because it's the wrong shade of white - heavens forefend!

MCB said...

To Anonymous, A few weeks ago APG said they were going to increase testing but wouldn't say specifically what they were doing -- and that they weren't going to say when/where/what at any point. I know my windows are rattling at all hours, and I have to keep straightening my pictures on the wall.