Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Take it all, BGE

When I was a poor reporter in West Virginia, I joked about having a bake sale to raise money so I could take a vacation to the beach. While the tip jar I put on my desk did net a few dollars for a trip, I never did sell any baked goods. However, I now am considering a sale to pay the BGE bill. If only everyone else in the neighborhood wasn't in the same situation, I might get some sympathy and a few dollars.
We have a home office, where in the winter we sometimes wear fleece jackets because we keep the heat so low when the kids are at school. I drive everyone crazy unplugging computers, the microwave, TVs, to stop the energy drain from appliances that never really turn "off". So imagine my surprise when I saw the $425 BGE bill for one month. Not two. We didn't forget to pay the bill or anything. One month -- where we froze!
Now Constellation Energy is threatening to sue Maryland to pay for "lost revenue" and has warned about more increases to pay for the Calvert Cliffs energy plant expansion. What are they doing with the money they have now? What happened to the money they were already supposed to be putting back into energy plant expansion?
I think for February I'm going to try something new. I'm just going to burn my $425. If I use one dollar bills, I could at least be warm for a little while. And at least BGE wouldn't get it to create more TV ads to tell me how to save energy and how they're the only company that "tells you how to use less of what we sell."

2 comments:

Hilda said...

You know, even though we leave every light in the house on half of the time and forget to turn back our thermostat, our bill was downright reasonable at $350 for one month. It must be all those energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs. We're getting off very easy. So sorry to hear about the $425 bill. What else can be said?

Anonymous said...

Mine was almost $500 and the house was not comfortably heated. If I wasn't moving, I would consider a pellet stove for the family room. The whole BGE/Constellation/PSU interaction is a debacle.

(Is Constellation so named because the sky is the limit on their greed?)