Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lead Paint & More

This is not specifically Abingdon-focused, but I saw an article today about how there was a rise in injuries from nursery products in 2006. I clicked on the link in the article to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and was surprised to see all the recalls in just the last few months for everything from space heaters to hoodies.
When I switched my e-mail I forgot to sign up again for the CPSC's e-mail newsletter. You have a choice to get alerts about everything, or just specific products categories (e.g. infant/child products.) If you subscribe, you'll get e-mails about what's being recalled directly from the CPSC. Some of these don't get any media attention, so it's a good resource.
There's still so much lead paint out there -- not getting all the attention it was a few months ago -- but there are still many products being recalled because of it.

1 comment:

Stacey A said...

You're right, the CPSC website is a great resource. I subscribed to their RSS feed a few months ago and each day I am flabbergasted by the number of products that come up on the recall list. Yesterday it was an infant rattle made in China and sold at Wal-Mart and Babies R Us. Last month items recalled for lead paint included children's jewelry, memory testing cards, a children's table and chair set, sketchbooks and toy gardening rakes.