Saturday, February 2, 2008

Rt. 24/Plumtree Zoning Question

Got a new comment on my previous Plumtree Road/Rte. 24 zoning post. An anonymous poster reports that an Aldi is supposed to be built on the site. The poster is right, this chain could not be further on the grocery store sale from Wegman's! There are many in Philly/NJ area. It's the kind of place where you take your own bags, not to be green, but it's all part of the discount store atmosphere. Lots of generics -- in Philly you had to leave a quarter to get a grocery cart. The first (and only time) I shopped there, I kept trying to get the cart out until someone came up and said, they were chained together, and then gave me a quarter.
I'd be interested if anyone else has heard this, or if the anonymous poster could give some more info.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was posted on the county web site zoning page under community input meetings. There was a meeting on June 25, and the minutes are posted there.

Hilda said...

At the risk of sounding completely snobbish, please tell me it isn't so. I'm not going to shop at Aldi, ever. My inlaws used to frequent the Edgewood store. I wasn't terribly impressed with any of their purchases. Why they chose to shop there is beyond me. And, I'm not paying to rent a shopping cart, even if it is a quarter. I enjoy getting bags too because I use them for recycling. Why can't we have Wegman's, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. You know, I enjoy saving a few pennies here and there, really I do. But, come on, is there really a need for Aldi. And, I also fail to see the need for yet another Walgreen's.

Anonymous said...

I'd kill for a Trader Joe's here.

We really don't need another Aldi since there is one in the county already, less than 8 miles away. Ugh!!!

Richard W. Smith said...

Do you know that Aldis and Trader Joes are the same company? Albrecht Distrubuting.

Anonymous said...

Aldi and Trader Joe's are not owned by the same company, so don't get excited about Trader Joe's just yet. Although I've been writing them for years, asking for a Harford store!

Actually, the two are separately owned companies by brothers. Theodor Paul Albrecht owns Trader Joe's and was the CEO of the Aldi Nord chain. His brother, Karl Albrecht, owns the Aldi Süd discount supermarket chain. They divided their assets more than 40 years ago. Aldi Süd operates the Aldi groceries in the United States. So Aldi and Trader Joe's, while owned by brothers, have separate and distinct ownership and operations.

Anonymous said...

I had heard that Wegmans was after the Plumtree/24 site and had approached P&Z with same. I checked out P&Z website and can find nothing there. Has anyone else heard this?