Saturday, December 22, 2007

Open Letter to Santa

Dear Santa,

Many of the folks in Abingdon have been good this year (except those nasty speeders!) So could you please find it in your heart to consider some of the items on this list?

These are in no particular order, and we will take any and all if available.

1. A decent restaurant in the Wal-Mart/Target shopping center. We love our fast food here, but it would be nice to have a spot with actual knives and forks and wait staff close-by. Sorry Santa, Country Kitchen doesn't count.

2. Speed bumps. I've been asking for these and so far no one cares. Or how about a stop sign? I've been told that slowing traffic is an illegal usage of stop signs, but maybe you could bend some rules?

3. More trees. If not more trees, can you stop all the cutting? I really never appreciated those trees by the WaWa on 924 until cutting them down created the ugliest corner around.

4. A new pharmacy. This is a joke Santa! Why would we need another pharmacy here! Oh wait, a new one's being built near Bright Oaks Drive. That's not funny, Santa.

5. More money for the library. You know that we love our library here. Maybe you could send them some new books, or at least some more copies of Sue Grafton's new book because I'm very low on the reserved list for that one.

6. An elected school board. I don't know, Santa, maybe it wouldn't make a difference at all, but I'd really like my voice to be heard and listened to. Maybe the threat of defeat might make these people more receptive to community voices.

7. A choice. I've got a few years, but if the middle/high schools in my area continue to fail so miserably on the MSA scores, could you send me a voucher so that my kids can attend a school where the county cares more about the students?

8. Pedestrian walkways. I would love to be able to walk to Target or Wal-Mart, but let's face it, it's too dangerous for me. How could I cross the road once I got there anyway? Can you help the wise transportation department think about pedestrians in its plans?

9. Whatever the Anita Leight Estuary Center wants. I'm not sure what that is, but they're great, so please send whatever they need.

10. A great 2008 for TAA readers and other area bloggers. And maybe some more blog readers for 2008, too!

Thanks, Santa. If it doesn't all fit under the tree, maybe you could put some of it in the many storage facilities located nearby!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for Otter Point! The dog loves the place.

I could live without another chain restaurant in "Constant Friendship"... Have you tried the Indian place in S. Bel Air Plaza? HHHHMMMMM ... good

Anonymous said...

If Santa didn't bring them, we have to get these things ourselves. Next year, consider giving one evening a month to your community by volunteering for the Abingdon Community Council. When we get enough volunteers we can meet with Abingdon residents to talk about what we need and don't need in Abingdon and how to get support from the county. Call Jane Walker at Harford County Government and Community Relations (410-638-3355) to volunteer. Happy New Year!