Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Truth About Wegman's

We feel pretty silly right now. In all our starry-eyed wonder about the possibility of this great grocer heading into Abingdon, we must have overlooked the dream of David Craig to make every millimeter in Abingdon a commercial, tax-paying base that will pay for the great schools in the other part of the county. Otherwise we're sure we would have noticed that the center will include:
Over 450,000 sf of premium retail space
50,000 sf of restaurants
"Main Street" feel showcasing an eclectic mix of value and specialty retailers
An 88,000 sf multi-level office building
When complete, center will contain up to 700,000 sf of gross leasable area and over 3,500 parking spaces

To read more click here

5 comments:

Hilda said...

Be careful for what you wish. Couldn't be more true, right? All we wanted was a nice restaurant and upscale food store. (sigh) I don't know if I mentioned this, but I heard about "The Avenue" several years back. I thought it was going to be up in the Patterson Mill area across from Plumtree on 924. I figured they changed their minds. Maybe it won't be horrible.

falmanac said...

The troubling thing about the "Main Street feel" is that it comes without Main Street rights.

Anonymous said...

Great schools in other parts of the county? What about the new Edgewood High School, Deerfield ES and the recent renovations to Edgewood Middle?

Larraine said...

Actually I think this sounds pretty good. I only hope the tenants will be more upscale than what has been coming into the county so far. Please, no more "dollar stores" or other assorted junk stores. I'm hoping for upscale dining as well. Wouldn't it be nice to have individual restaurants, NOT more chain restaurants! As far as the location goes, I've said it before in this space and I'll say it again: Abingdon was designated as part of the development envelope. It would be nice to have some open space. As far as the schools go: are Edgewood schools still that bad? Just curious. No kids in school anymore.

Hilda said...

TAA, Me hubby sent me a trade brochure for the "Boulevard at Box Hill." I'll be happy to show it to you.