Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Abingdon Giant: Gas Pumps Coming?

A development proposal in the classified section of The Aegis says that the Abingdon Giant has applied to construct a five pump fuel facility with canopy and kiosk on 6.03 acres.
The plans are set for review at the Development Advisory Committee meeting at 9 a.m. June 3, 220 South Main Street, Bel Air, in the second floor conference room.
Comments are requested by June 2.
This is just what that area needs -- another gas station. Because the WaWa, Exxon & gas station the corner (by the liquor store) don't offer enough gasoline for that mile of road.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Why they need to construct a new facility when there is an empty lot from the old BP station across the street is beyond me.

And along the lines of what you mentioned above, shouldn't the closed gas station be a sign that Abingdon doesn't need another gas station??

Larraine said...

If it isn't a gas station, it's a bank. If you are in Bel Air, you are hard pressed to actually find a gas station anymore. I would love to see the county council just say NO to a lot of these needless developments. I don't see that happening.

Hilda said...

Isn't 6.03 acres pretty big? That's roughly twice the size of my entire court, including the backyards. Where exactly is the planned spot for this monsterous facility? In any case, it's pretty silly. Well, wait a minute. I do recall that in the 10 years I've lived in this area, I once saw it a bit crowded at the Exxon on the corner of Singer. (I happen to know that the other Exxon was unable to use credit cards at that very time as I just left the shopping center station for that reason.)

Actually two gas stations have closed on that strip. The BP is obvious as it just sits there deteriorating. But, the Beverage Barn had Citgo pumps there not all that long ago. But, I'm sure Giant, a grocery chain, will bring something new to the gas vending table. (eyeroll)