Thursday, January 8, 2009

Weapons of Mass Destruction Found in Abingdon



Or is it just the construction crew tearing down every last tree it can find? I don't blame them, they're just doing their jobs. But here at TAA in total naivete we believed that they would leave one tree, standing. Oh wait, they did leave one tree standing on the perimeter of Walmart. Or else they haven't gotten to it yet. (You can enlarge the photos if you click on them)
Those trees may not seem important to some readers. But in the summer they blocked the view of the highway, kept the traffic sounds to a minimum and just looked nice. It at least gave the illusion there wasn't a giant shopping center there. And for readers who will say we always complain about progress, blah blah blah, please stop reading, because it's only going to get worse.
Please be aware there are also lane restrictions and lots of construction workers running around in the road. Please be watchful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't agree with you more...plus I don't believe all that construction will do one thing with the real issue.

All the traffic caused by the shopping center itself.

It will only allow those living in Bel Air to blissfully ignore the problem.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I came around the corner this morning, headed to 95, and was stunned. So weird. But, what can one do? sigh

Anonymous said...

Maybe they will replant when they are done, we can always hope!

Anonymous said...

Yes it is definitely a strange sight. I thought I saw something in their info mail that they are going to re-plant trees where they now are clearing to make room for the temporary intersection.

Larraine said...

It took a county law to require builders to replace trees. I was selling real estate at the time. I remember a big shot agent who represented a builder, asking me to sign a petition requesting that the county not pass that requirement. She got mad at me when I declined, pointing out that if a buyer couldn't afford a slightly higher price for the house, that was just too bad. Having grown up on a nearly treeless street myself, I'm all about trees. The traffic in and around that center is awful. We don't even go there anymore especially since we consider Walmart to the Evil Empire.

Anonymous said...

I read they were planning to replant trees. However, do you see the size of the trees they are taking out? No way they can replant trees of that size and it will take years before they can even compare.

Now you can see the McD's from the Weis. It gives the whole area an urban feel...so sad :(

Anonymous said...

wahhhh! wahhhhh! You complain about the traffic and then bawl when they move some trees to fix, or at least, address, the problem. I commend your dedication to your, ahem, community. But, I am a bit amazed that the traffic, and subsequent tree removal and construction, garner so much of your attention while the exploding crime issue in your beloved Constant Friendship, goes unaddressed. Home invasions, attempted rapes, burglary- Friendship indeed. You may want to look at the real issues on that side of Tollgate. Good luck, I'll be sitting in traffic, accepting that it may take me an additional 3whole minutes to get to my J-O-B. Something I'm not sure that side of the road understands. Hope it all works out for you.

Jason in Monmouth

Anonymous said...

Well since I know TAA lives on the same side of the tracks as you Jason you better look in your own back yard. No one is forcing you to read this blog, move on. A little bitter about having to work, well TAA works also. Get your facts straight before you start attacking.

Anonymous said...

Somewhat off topic - does anyone know what is going on with the construction right next to the water treatment plant on Abingdon Road?